Tag Archives: Claim to U.S. citizenship

Born Abroad to a U.S. citizen? You may have a claim to U.S. Citizenship yourself.

An often neglected tool in the Immigration Benefit Arsenal is the examination of a possible Claim to U.S. Citizenship, by a foreign national born abroad to a U.S.-Citizen-parent.

Such Children (even once they reach adulthood) are entitled to be documented as American citizens, IF the citizen parent meets certain so-called “transmission requirements” which could occur in the following circumstances:

  • Child born in wedlock to two U.S. citizens
  • Birth abroad to one citizen and one alien parent in wedlock
  • Child born out of wedlock to a U.S. citizen mother
  • Child born out of wedlock to a U.S. citizen father

Please read more about this at my Citizenship Site.   Note that there are special procedures for active members of the U.S. Armed Services, their dependents, and other civilian DOD personnel. You should contact your local Personnel Services Battalion passport agent on base, per DOD policy.