Tag Archives: driver license

Revised FL-DMV Procedures for “Deferred Action” Applicants.

If DHS has granted deferred action and a work permit has been applied for or approved, these individuals are eligible for issuance. Other documents required would be a valid government-issued document (unless the customer has been issued with the Department since January 1, 2010), two (2) proofs of residential address and proof of social security number (if one has been issued), along with the deferred action letter from DHS.

Furthermore, if the customer is a youth and is seeking a first-time issuance, F.S. 322.095 requires completion of the traffic law substance abuse (TLSA) course or the satisfactorily completed Department of Education driver’s education course.

Enhanced Driver’s Licenses Coming Your Way…

In a recent press release (May ’08) DHS announced that it was pursuing development of alternative documents to meet Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) implementation requirements at land and sea ports of entry.

DHS is encouraging individual states to enhance their driver’s licenses and identification documents to satisfy both WHTI requirements and the changes in international land/sea travel document procedures which began on January 31, 2008. These enhanced documents will denote both identity and citizenship, be issued in a secure process, and include technology that facilitates travel.

WHTI stems from a 9/11 Commission recommendation mandated in the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004. The law requires all travelers, including U.S. and Canadian citizens, to have a secure, verifiable document that denotes both identity and citizenship for entry into the United States.

DHS has worked to align REAL ID and EDL requirements. EDLs that are developed consistent with the requirements of REAL ID can be used for official purposes such as accessing a Federal facility, boarding Federally-regulated commercial aircraft, and entering nuclear power plants.

Although the goal of enhancing identification security is shared by both programs, there are some distinctions. While the REAL ID requires proof of legal status in the U.S., the state issued EDL will require that the card holder be a U.S. citizen. The EDL will also serve as a limited-use international travel document.

The purpose of REAL ID is to establish minimum standards for state-issued driver’s licenses and identification cards to be accepted for official purposes. When presenting a driver’s license for official purposes such as accessing Federal facilities, boarding Federally-regulated commercial aircraft, or entering nuclear power plants, it must be a driver’s license that is compliant with the REAL ID regulation.

In leveraging technologies for border security and facilitation of legitimate global travel, DHS is mindful of privacy concerns, and is committed to adhering to strict privacy standards. As most privacy and security professionals recommend, the vicinity RFID enabled WHTI-compliant documents will incorporate several layers of privacy mitigations.

For those who will be travelling (internationally) this summer…

Whether you are a U.S. citizen or foreign national, if you have plans to travel outside the United States this summer, please be prepared, particularly if you do not travel frequently beyond our borders.

Be aware of documentation requirements and make sure you and those travelling with you comply with them. Make sure your photo identification is up-to-date. Is your driver license in order? Are you required to present a passport? Is your passport still valid? Does your passport comply with current documentation standards? Do you require a visa to enter the foreign destination? Do you have a valid visa to re-enter the United States, if you a required to have one?

A day before your scheduled departure for your vacation destination is a little late to realize that some aspect of your vital documentation is not in order. My recommendation is, particularly with foreign nationals living in the United States, check with an immigration lawyer, like myself.

In the case of U.S. citizens travelling overseas (esp. for “first-timers”), the U.S. State Department website (http://travel.state.gov/) contains a myriad of helpful information for Americans engaging in foreign travel. Also, the State Department recommends that U.S. citizens register with the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate at their vacation destination.

You may also want to check USCIS and State Department sources on travelling to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean, as there are special provisions under the so-called “Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative” (WHTI), requiring all travelers to present a passport or other document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the U.S.

The goal of the initiative is to strengthen U.S. border security while facilitating entry for U.S. citizens and legitimate foreign visitors by providing standardized documentation that enables the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler.